Monday 16 September 2019

Blinding!


Undoubtly my fave show on TV right now -watched every episode so far over the last week good old Aunty Beeb and Netflix  best show to come out of Brummie since Pipkins


A story about Tommies coming back from first world war -to a criminal world -I'm not sure it's ever been done before (maybe When the Boat Comes in but I only have vague memories of that ) as well as this the claykicker flashback scences are very Charleys War did bring back memories of that story line Cuts off-arrrgggh ! no spoilers I guess -How is Tommy so fecking beautiful? only 4 years younger than me -super cheekbones and clear blue eyes Peter O'Toole style-so a  bit of a Godhead  very well cast-
Barnets WW1 style should go to Billy Childish's barber - but yeah they got that right too I guess going bald wasn't as common then -I blame shampoo-I notice that in old photos  still been rocking that style of hat for a couple of years least I'd be in fashion in the 1890's

The use of soundtracks odd I saw first episode a few years back I wasn't sure it worked at first , reminded me of Django Unchained -but after watching it recently I thought why not -I'll stick with it  can't really go wrong with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds , White Stripes ,Bowie  and lately Anna Calvi , Iggy Pop, Black Sabbath and in tonights Episode Joy Division -adds a surreal element --and breaks the rules of coventional soundtracks-Short Interview with Stephen Knight shows creator


Fascinating and horrifying that's Arthur Shelby  -It's a strange thing he does unspeakably horrible things but because you know he's been damaged by the war and his old man you're kind of sympathic in a odd way , he's driven by demons you route for him if he crosses the Billy Boys or the Mafia and soon the blackshirts (I hope)  for example as you know they're another form of bastard-not sure he's in control of it -but things will go to shit if he's taken out of the picture  I don't fancy there chances against him -he was at Gallopoli (should have a quiet  word with Mr Churchill)  and- he needs to re-unite with his Dad the very definition of a shitehawk -hope that happens in a future series behind the scenes of my fave action scene -kinda Millers Crossing in 20's Birmingham Gotta wait another week bah!.. for season 5's finale it's interesting that show will go on for 7 seasons although theres going to be a gap usually theres a two year gap between each season -would hope theres more than 7 seasons but it's meant to conclude with the luftwaffe bombing Birmingham in 1940- story right now is set in 1929 (not sure Mosely really became a problem till about 1931) but whats great about show is its unpredictibility and energy -strong writing and casting -no doubt I'll feature another post on other blog as it's also a story of strong women.. but well worth viewing for a unique take on early 20th century underworld

No comments: