Tuesday 31 August 2021

Charleys War -Colouring Project -Episode 4

Story Pat Mills -Art Joe Colquhoun


 

Episode Foue introduces Mad Mick  and Sgt Bill Tozer in Trevor Howard Rawlenson End makeup -it's the make up for trench raids not meant to be offensive to as it's what would happen  it's a bit League of Gentlemen too comedy and levity is a big part of  Charleys story  the past seems a more surreal place WW1 would appear very surreal to a  1970's kid - not many videos about Charley but if I stay here I'll post documentaries or videos relevant to the episode I'm posting
still the public are having wool pulled over there eyes to serve the people who actually start these conflicts -in truth it was a disater that spawned Hitler , Stalin . Mussolini -theres more truth about WW1 in a three page episode of CW than anything Jeremy Paxman put out around thw 100th year annerversary -with whats happening in Afghanisthan right now pehaps its time to look back and see the causes for these distasters and hold those responsible to account Bush, Rumsfeld , Chaney,Blair those creeps -the hijackers on plane weren't Afghan or Iraqi  but Saudi so seems like a ruse to nick opium a trade the yanks set up cladestinwly in the 80s when the Soviets invaded -"Just Say No "-yeah right? " it saw the collapse of the USSR but also the events you see today-another tragedy-its the fishy business that causes these outcomes rubbish political and financial and damn right criminal decisions ... and still the newsreaders seem to do protect these people -wheres Brian Walden when you need him ?.

Re coloured a page from episode one too as the scan was lousy as were some of my choices of colour this is a bit better


 


Ole Bill Tozers a fascinating character -very Windsor Davis although I doubt he's Welsh sounds like a Cockney to me  -although doubt he's spent much time in the big smoke but on some colonial battleground -Young Bill  would be a neat spin off I can imagine Bill in Hong Kong meeting The Boxers or bumping into Young Winston in South Africa  maybe Mad Mick was with him too like to think those two are old muckers- Bills also very proto Lemmy -I bet he read Battle -he liked 2000ad so it wouldn;t surprise me and his get up I blame Hellman for that




Going back to late 1975 in next story I'm doing real Taxi Driver.Mean Streets colours -get to be a budding Jack Cardiff with these colours -like Mad Mick it keeps me hands busy.

 

 

I better watch this and all may learn a few things although kind of happy finding my own way around  -I kind of rail against the conventional way of doing this -many comics look the same to me with sfx colours-which in truth seems to be a way to cover up flaws - There was this  one guy that used to colour Star Wars Justin Canadian or American  who'd  would slag my work off in forums and I'm learning you see -it's a constant process of learning once you stop learning you become lousy - but he'd put laser beams on AK47s pistols and everything and take forever to do two pages -so he  had no right to criticise me I'd of done 10 pages in that time and learn new things -he's dead now though which is very sad but I  don't l like been criticised when I'm finding my own way around and you really have to as you don't want your work to look like every other colourist-that would be death for me.So I'm gonna do my best to proove that guy wrong coz I  do things differently-plus it looks like a comic to me Thats what I do rather than a series of moody colours with the odd sfx thrown in .

No comments: