Tuesday 27 July 2021

The Sarge -Colouring Project Episode 2


 


 Art Mike Western.

Episode One of The Sarge -here Sarge Part 1

Originally printed in 1978 the year where there were blackouts, strikes  and industrial action on the tv  so I  read or at least looked at alot of comics when I was 5-Battle Action (as it was then ) was among my favourites  so been wanting to  colour this since  I first saw this story as I always liked Mikes art and recognised from Buster and Leopard from Lime Street( along with Eric Bradbury who  also drew strips for Battle-Crazy Keller , Joe Two Beans ,Death Squad .The Fists of Jimmy Chang all good stuff) Not much video wise on Mike but here's his art animated  Leopard from Lime Street always reminded me of Peter Parker although  I imagine Billy's about three or four years younger than Spidey 


Next Up The Eagle Strikes Back and Charleys War Episode Three -looking at my pages I did 10 or so years ago it's ultra loud so going to take a different approach =plus it's been ten years I'd like to think I've learnt at least one or two things within that time.. but it's been nice to have a little bit of freedom to just knuckle down to these - not aiming to be the definite version of these stories  just my impression the Black and Whites will always be how these comic strips were intended  but  I'm curious to see what they look like in full colour Mikes strong inks really serve colours well
Kinda of a origin story for Beatle Bailey. I wonder if he bumped into Private Gripweed on his travels

No comments: