Sunday 23 April 2017

Iggy Days

By Mick Rock -A Real Street Walkin' Cheetah !...last week I had a Star Wars weekend -this Weekend a Stooges marathon ..guess it's the cool typeface where the S hits the T !Just saw the two Jim's Gimme Me Danger ..very good..(even saw a Hell in the Pacific Billboard a most  excellent  Lee Marvin movie that)The John Wayne stories great too.. so this playlist isn't a repeat of that but rather various snippets in random time in the life of the Ig -interviews as well as performances even manage to squeeze in a episode of Taxi lol  so a bit of Bowie, Ivan. Fred ,Josh , Ron, James Carlos ,Steve, James ...the list can go on .. Igs worked with the best- trying to remember first time I heard the Stooges -guess it would be 86 or 87 -but it wasn't the Stooges -I think it was around Blah Blah Blah  so I was  about 13 or 14 on Dutch Radio I  could pick up those stations .and they always played cooler stuff than English stations apart from Peel .taped it naturally as it was the best thing I'd ever heard ..Raw Power...then  Sixteen -life changing stuff- guess it was this performance (I think it was in Belgium )

I was aware of Iggy through Bowie  but not so much The Stooges -then I heard Penetration on Radio Caroline (it came back for a short while in the 80's they also played Tonite by MC5 so it was a good introduction to that Detroit sound)-then bought Raw Power at Tribes record shop and it grew from there ...bootlegs , rehearsal tapes , skydog records -as rough as these recordings were they sounded modern in the way sub pop and hardcore records did at that time so it was all the same thing to me ..the honesty and the guts of it that's what counted.

No comments: