Monday 9 August 2021

Colouring Project-"The Eagle Stikes Back"-Part 1

Mike Nelson-Codename Eagle SOE Agent by Carlos Ezquerra (grabbed this off a cover really liked Carlos take on Mike kinda 1983 lets dance era Bowie although this was drawn about 77-78)

I think I first read Mikes adventures in a Annual Battle for me arrived in 77 when I was 4 (about that age you get obsessessed with comics as there were no space invaders or pac man as we have today lol- so I missed Rogue Eagle which this story refers to in it's firat page First story I saw was Death Heads Dossier with some lovely Geoff Campion artwork - but when people think back to the character Mike Nelson most people will think of Pat Wright who drew the first episode and the last . This stories a prequel and my favourite as it has all the ingrediants of a Where Eagles Dare , James Bond ; Rogue Male and the end is bitter sweet  to me as a 8 year old reader,-The title might be a blatant rip of Empire Strikes Back which was out in cinemas at the time then again I think there was a The Saint Strikes Back (way back in 1939)

Back to 1980/1944 and The Eagle Strikes Back ! Story Kelvin Gosnell -Art Patrick Wright -Letters Nigel Eaton





Tend to think of these stories in black n white -I hope I haven't gone too Rogan Josh or anything, My take I guess is to try and colour it like a film that came out in 1980 

I'd cast Bowie as Mike but only if he switched to a Iggy sytle health regime and buffed up a little - 

Bowie was to appear in the Eagle Has Landed (could of made a good Steiner ) but he went for the role of Colonel Radl -guess he was method acting around the time of  the Thin White Duke and saying stupid things  glad he got off the Charley -Killgore;Tom Hagan  got the role instead but does make you wonder 

 


Mike wouldn't exist with Alan's Dad Eric who helped in the research on The SOE    and wrote first episode  so this is a great informative interview. Pat Wright's Dad also was a master illustrator as you can see here https://www.carol-day.com/

Seeing as it's title of first Mike Nelson story it had to be done

 

No comments: