Monday 11 January 2016

Bowie Man!

We lost a brother today.. so here's my tribute to the Mainman I think the first time I heard David Jones was on Kenny Everett- good macho song - done in in a weird way - guess Lodger was when I was when I first heard him as a ankle biter although remember a Nationwide talking about how he changed fashion from long hair to short hair -as a kid I was grateful as I thought all hippies were like Charles Manson- I guess  this was my first introduction to Bowie and Eno They all looked liked characters out of Coronation Street lol -God knows what the old fella made of Dave - but I bet he dug his voice (did stay up one New Years Eve to Watch Serious Moonlight with him) When your young you seek heroes only later do you find them everywhere -not constructs but reality -that's whats Dave was on about a world that confines creates heroes or villians It's called Junk for a reason- I think it was Iggy who was by the wall -Song about Marc Bolan-although in my mind it's about Iggy and the StoogesScary Monsters was out and this video appeared on Multicolored Swap Shop or Saturday Superstore also remember they played DJ  too- still no idea who he was though but this one changed everything.. The greatest cry for help ever? - althoough Dave was so cool to sort his probs out b4song was recorded & help Iggy too so big respect !(At the time there was all  this stupid talk about Bowie been a "traitor" back then but why couldn't he appeal to New Romantics ? I mean he could appeal to so many different scenes but  I didn' give a shit i was 7 lol) My oldest sister Mary had awesome tapes to grow up with Kate Bush, The White Album, & Hunky Dory of course- I'd never heard anyone swear before on record back then on Dory -"Bitch" - "Bullshit" these two words made impact- most subversive - heard "Get" on White album ;- but it's how we real folk talk -so it was engraved on my memory as is Motorhead and the Pistols back then... swearing in song has little impact now i imagine but when you're a a kid bought up were you expect outside world to know their P's and Q's s it was something else back then .. Hunky Dory is beyond awesome. Totally Velvets (another thing to thank Mr Jones for.. getting Lou to record Transformer other sweary song lol now older I know these names  he mentions Hunky Dory thats the 1 that was a household as The "Good Life" or "Blankty Blank" I think it's his best record -well for me on a personal level - love the stuff after - But ol DB wrote My Way b4 all this - not that it matters now I I think I watched Ivor the Engine and then Natiowide when first heard this.. it changed my life.. way better than  Franks song really as it was like a cut-up Burroughs style -the Beatles were surrealistic too with there  lyrics come to think of it -but Bowie back then could really paint pictures in your head  Gotta end post somewhere -  Dave  shaped new realities new possibilities so it's tricky to wind down  this post(he was always writing killer tunes since he was a mod but i'll go with this one. from Diamond Dogs-in full Halloween Jack persona .. Ziggy after a eye operation? lol "They'll never Clone Ya"

No comments: