Monday 6 August 2018

Insight 90

A nod to my Dad on his anniversary even though he wouldn't been into this music although I think he dug Joe Strummer as he saw a little of himself when he was younger - hence Wired interview which we watched together - I think his ears perked up working with the Pogues(he liked them naturally ) plus he was old school Grease no time for that Ted nonsense - looked like a Stray Cat without the mullet mixed with Captain Kirk in old photo I saw recently I  barely got any photos from that period though it ain't like today where you people snap or video everything guess it was was like that in Ireland in the 50's -
This one is from Christmas 1984 so I'm 12 here Dad very Del Boy /Arthur Daley here
I will get a new scanner soon-want to do a few Colour Like Carlos scans- haven't been feeling very arty lately after Star Wars page failed to save - maybe  a new scanner will sort out that mood and wetter weather  -but that's a typical 80's boy jumper lol - be nice to scan some more old photos .

I did want post John Peel show from today's date from 1990 -only heard one song as I was devastated and it what starts this playlist off - but when I heard Insight by Joy Division it made perfect sense at that moment in time could of been playing anything usually Kylie and Jason or some poppy shite as it was back then but no it was Ian and the boys - kinda special in a weird way lifted me up- those words meant a great deal to me as I was already heavily into JD since I was 14 or 15 - but it's like JP knew what had happened and what was going through my mind and it's odd I heard this in the afternoon but BBC would shift his show around back then for some reason .
This Playlist was originally going to be music from that very Baggy year 1990 but so far not so baggy what I remembered I was big on grunge and fuzz usually American stuff and a bit of shoegaze as they called it back then , but did like the Mondays, Roses Charlatan's and Carpets all the good ones so I need to get back to this tomorrow -(updated playlist is growing and growing maybe I stop at 90)

I feature a bit of Nils  Lofgren here as I met him the day my Dad died-sounds strange I know but my mate Gav wanted me to see him with him and yes it helped a great deal took me away from doing any damage although I know I drank whiskey then so if I was a eejit  back then sorry  but  heavy shit had gone down prior -so long ago - but I was glad to hear music -keeps you half sane I guess.

Nice to think of my Dad when he was around I do it constantly - want to move forward from that though but it's difficult . He went to the great hereafter  just as Iron Curtain collapsing  - he respected the Russians more than the Yanks at that time  (he always thought about what they went through in the war) I think both my Mum and Dad met G.I 's when they were litlle though as they were training for D-Day in Ireland - just He wouldn't buy into all this propaganda crap not that he was a Soviet or anything just he was human being - grew up in a era of East vs West- always struck me as stupid -course had no idea until teens what Stalin was up to but well aware of America and Vietnam   but these days worlds more corporate and daft - the last few days of my Dads life was when Iraq invaded Kuwait and the first Gulf War never got to see the outcome of that -or how Russia changed (he thought Boris  Yelts was an eejit -but liked Gorby ..I have no idea what he'd make of Putin-) but we did have a Ronald Reagan dog toythat squeeked  lol Spitting Image style..

I watched great documentary about behind the scenes of Spitting Image last night -(didn't realize it was such hard work and the Crossroads connection lol ) we did enjoy a good old laugh on a Sunday throughout the mid 80's so a good excuse for a bit of this.
It's a odd one 1990 it began with much hope for the future-a new decade a fresh start - then tragedy struck -sometimes feel like I'm frozen in time -on the inside at least even though so much time has passed -sometimes feels life is something that happens without your permission , guess the only way to get through that is within your head.only you alone can work things out -

No comments: